Monday 1 April 2013

Banana Muffins and I Broke the Baby

So Grady's fine but he's got his first stitch in his forehead and I am never sleeping again. There is some emotional eating going on at our house is what I'm saying (thyroid results tomorrow! All the feelings!)

I had some deliciously overripe bananas and a hankering for some baked goods (Shawn asks when do I not have a hankering for some baked goods. Harsh but fair, Shawn. Harsh but fair.)

I started with this recipe and went rogue. The result was amazing.

Hillary's Banana Muffins for Emotional Eating 

Makes 12 regular-sized muffins.

Preheat your oven to 350F. (Real talk: I used the convection setting and dark non-stick muffin pans so I went with 325F.)

Melt 1/3 cup butter (real butter, folks. Live a little.)

Whisk (or sift, whatever) together:
1.5 cups of all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
0.5 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
.25 teaspoon nutmeg
pinch of ground cloves

In a large bowl, mash three overripe bananas. We're talking brown spots on the skin overripe. Sickly sweet smelling overripe. Attracting fruit flies overripe.

Add:
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla
0.5 cup packed brown sugar
your melted butter

Whisk your banana mixture until everything is well incorporated.

Add your dry ingredients and mix just until combined (I like to use a rubber spatula for this - if you use a whisk it gets overworked quickly and you end up with rubbery muffins.)

Spoon into muffin tin (lined with papers or lightly greased with oil.)

Bake for 25 - 30 minutes.



3 comments:

  1. I shall be trying these. Also, extra points if you include your emotion in the batter? i.e. substitute the salt for actual tears

    I am going to be checking back here about eleventy-nine times/hour until you post an update on the results. Will be thinking about you bunches.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These sound amazing! I will definitely be trying something like this soon.

    I'll be waiting to hear what the results are. Sending you all the good vibes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Big hugs, Hills! Praying for you and thinking of you guys.

    ReplyDelete