Monday 28 May 2012

It All Comes Out In The Wash

This weekend marked the one year anniversary of living in our condo. I have actively hated our washing machine since day one. It's glitchy. It temperamental. I have to perform a voodoo dance of carefully timed steps in a specific order to make it do a load of washing. There are numerous online forums filled with people complaining about this model of washing machine. It is a lemon.

The washing machine died 11 days ago. It's died before but we've always managed to resuscitate it. This time it refuses to be resuscitated. I called the manufacturer to see what our options are and was told there have been no recalls and we have no warranty (it's a replacement unit - our condo is only four years old but the previous owner had to have the washing machine replaced because the model is so crappy.)

The last week has been filled with a lot of washing machine rage. I don't understand how 3 years is an acceptable life span for a washing machine. I don't understand how we can be expected to pay more to repair our lemon machine than it costs to buy a new one.

Meanwhile, our laundry mountain grows. As of this morning it's reached my shoulders (and I am not a short lady.)

Our new machine arrives tomorrow. I hate the thought of throwing out a 3-year old machine but in the end it's going to cost us less to buy a whole new machine (and this way we can ditch the brand that has officially joined my "hate for life" list and we end up with a 1-year manufacturer's warranty.)

You guys, it hurt to spend our holiday fund on a new washing machine (and yes, I realize what a first-world problem this is. Doesn't make it hurt any less.) I do have to admit, though, that I'm a little excited to do laundry tomorrow.


6 comments:

  1. I would be pretty pissed too. Three years is not that long for that type of appliance. I don't know if this is true or not, but it seems like they make them so that they break down within a few years of purchase. Which means? You have to go out and buy a new ones and spend money again.

    That's my appliance conspiracy theory.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would be really really irritated by that. Washing machines should NOT crap out after 3 years - my mom has had one for nearly 15 years and it's still going! :-( I hope your new one is kick ass - maybe there's a program where you can donate the old one and get more taxes back next year to bulk up your vacation fund again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Three years is NOT acceptable. Argh.

    Maybe change your vacation plans to come stay at casa Dykstra. We have room, food, and wineries nearby. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. 3 years is not long enough!

    We are in the market for a washer/dryer for our new place. It's overwhelming to pick out the right brand with all the reviews that often conflict. I'm in over my head. But I am very excited to have a washer and dryer of my very own that I don't have to haul down 3 flights of stairs or make sure I have quarters for.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's the one thing about home ownership that totally stinks - appliances can go out for no good reason - and then you're out a bunch of money. Ugh. I think if we were to have to buy a new washer/dryer, we'd probably purchase a front-loading high efficiency set. Thankfully (knocking on wood), that's nowhere in our immediate future.

    ReplyDelete
  6. THAT IS INSANE that they're claiming 3 years is a "reasonable" life span. i now hate that brand for life on your behalf.

    ReplyDelete