Monday 12 April 2010

Rock Robot Rock

A few months ago Shawn and I tried to find a way for him to quit his job and either go back to school or focus on his music full-time. We failed. There's more to it than that but what it boils down to is that it was a huge risk that we weren't willing to make right now. So for the last few months, Shawn has come home from work every night and tucked himself away in the den to work on his album. It's been difficult. I've gone to bed alone too many times to count, resorting to ear plugs so I could fall asleep. I've been on the receiving end of snarky looks when I interrupt "the process" and I've given many snarky looks when I've heard the same bass lick fifty times in a row. It was worth it, though, because the album is finally finished.

It can be lonely, watching someone you love be so immersed in something that doesn't include you. I would be lying if I said that I didn't feel resentful or envious or stroppy at times. "The process" can be an exclusive bitch sometimes. But now that the album is done and I have my husband back? I am nothing but proud.

14 comments:

  1. You're an amazing woman for living through it. As a musician who has spent many hours in a recording studio for even the shortest little sample, I know how long and drawn out it can be. Especially if it's happening in your own home (been there, too - I gave up a bedroom for recording equipment and put my bed in a glorified closet for the better part of a year).

    I listened to a few of the tracks, and they're awesome. I love "Cocktails" and "Six Strings of Fury II". My ears are always drawn to strong bass players and these make them happy. Congrats to you and Shawn!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow, that's incredible! I totally hear you - the entire first year of D & I's relationship was spent with him being incredibly involved in something that didn't involve me - he worked in the CFL which stole him away 14 hours of every day, and to different cities every other week. It's tough but it's worth it - and I'm SO glad it's all done for you guys - he has something you guys can both be VERY proud of, and you have him back! Big congrats :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done for sticking to it - both of you! I can't wait to hear it :) Hopefully soon you'll have your snuggle partner back!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The artist's life is a tough one. Excited for you both, now that it's done. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations! I hope this is the start of a fabulous new chapter :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. HOORAY!!! SO COOL!! i'll have to go download this on my home computer which has itunes loaded... congrats to shawn, and my goodness well done you for surviving it :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations! Shawn is mighty talented (and mighty lucky, I might add, to have you backing him up). Well done both of you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. hi 5 to the album being done! when do you get the tour bus?

    ReplyDelete
  9. How utterly exhausting and unbelievably exciting for all involved. Seriously thrilled for you and Shawn!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations! And I say that to both of you, because without you that album wouldn't have happened. And I'll say it again. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  11. lol!! I love your review of the album!! Awesome! =D

    Having someone you love really wrapped up in something big is a hard thing, it's wonderful and alienating and a challenge- I'm so glad that you guys got through through to the other side with a minimum of stabby looks =)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Woohoo! Congrats to you both!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Having dated a musician I know it's tough. But being so incredibly proud of their hard work when they are done is an amazing feeling.

    Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congrats to both of you!!!!! That's an amazing achievement for him, I hope everything turns out exactly how it should!

    ReplyDelete