Tuesday 2 March 2010

Our Watchword Evermore Shall Be The Maple Leaf Forever

I had a low-key weekend planned.

And then Friday evening I got an email from Robin, inviting me to go to the closing ceremonies with her on Sunday. And then Saturday I started getting sick. And then I spent early Sunday morning in the emergency room because I couldn't breathe. And then I went to the pub to watch the gold medal hockey game.

And then I fought my way through the sea of hockey-crazed fans to BC Place to meet up with Robin.

Being at the closing ceremonies is something I'll never forget. The atmosphere, the energy, the performances - they all contributed to an amazing night. I even appreciated the Nickelback performance, if only for a much-needed bathroom break.

And now I'm stuck in bed with the black lung. I can't remember ever being this sick. I should have stayed home on Sunday instead of going to the pub and the closing ceremonies but they both seemed like once-in-a-lifetime opportunities. I had an amazing weekend; I don't really have the words to describe it. Or the energy. So ... pictures!


18 comments:

  1. Wow - you got some AMAZING photos! Glad you got a chance to experience it in person. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful pictures and SO amazing you got to go!

    I'm so sorry you are not feeling well though. I hope you get better soon and stop getting sick!

    ReplyDelete
  3. AWESOME! So jealous you got to go! I hope you feel better soon...tea! Sleep!

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW. Just, WOW.

    Sorry you're so sick. That's just not right.

    ReplyDelete
  5. AMAZING photos!! I was so worried when I read "emergency room" and "enjoying hockey" in the same sentence but I'm happy you got to enjoy it. I really hope you feel better soon!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. omg, that looks AMAZING. not that the black lung is *worth* getting in exchange for going, exactly, but i think i would have made the same choice. thinking healthy thoughts to you! feel better!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is so awesome, and I agree a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. Sorry to hear you are sick :( Bryan was at the ER this week with asthma crap too. I hope you feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I also have the dark lord in my chest. Sympathies!

    Also, what WAS that floating from the ceiling, paper bits? I hid under the couch while Nickelback (ans Avril) played, I also wasn't sure about the giant inflatable beavers, but I still would have given my left pinkie to be there, wicked.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That most definitely is a once in a lifetime opportunity. And despite feeling like crap, I think it's amazing you took full advantage!

    Congrats to Canada for beating your southern border and here's hoping you feel better real soon!

    ReplyDelete
  10. oh my god, your photos are so much more beautiful that what was on the tv! also, don't email me that you have the black lung and then not answer any calls for 3 days. are you dead?

    ReplyDelete
  11. CRAP i'm so jealous that you got to see my future husband, Neil Young, perform!
    But i'm totally not jealous you're dying.
    Please stop, ok?
    thanks

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow! These are great! A friend of mine went as well and she had so much fun. I'm so glad you got to go!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Amazing! That is so so cool.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your photos are incredible. And I hope you feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Fabulous pictures!!

    Sorry to hear that the events wiped you out, but they must have been amazing. And congrats on the game! I am glad that if the US had to lose, Sid was the one to do it!

    Really enjoyed your city, it's definitely a place I would come back to without all the crowds!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. "I even appreciated the Nickelback performance, if only for a much-needed bathroom break."

    I love you.

    Feel better, muffin. OX

    ReplyDelete