Wednesday 24 February 2010

My Arms Get Cold In February Air Please Don't Lose Hold Of Me Out There And I Know This Place Like The Back Of My Hands

February is bleak.

It is cold and rainy; it is months until the next long weekend; it is a love holiday that makes me feel uncomfortable and twitchy (which is an improvement from how it used to make me feel - alone and depressed); it is too much family time, with my dad's and brother's birthdays 12 days apart; it is sad, with my late grandpa's and gone-too-soon cousin's birthdays days from Westy's and Dad's. February is grey skies and rain clouds. Dry skin and chapped lips. Dark mornings and early evenings. February is too long despite being the shortest month.

This February was different. Not only because of the giant party that is the Olympics (my liver died on Sunday night; I'm not sure whether the tequila or the beer is responsible so I'll assign equal blame) but because we were blessed with amazing weather. A full week of blue skies, sunshine, and warm-enough-to-leave-your-jacket-at-home weather. The cherry blossoms bloomed, the crocuses were fooled into thinking that Spring had arrived, and my heart was happy.

The rain started last night. This morning I did not wake up to sunshine filtering through my eyelids. February is bleak once again.

Day 24 of my month of photos:

A float plane leaving Vancouver harbour with North Vancouver and the North Shore Mountains in the distance.

11 comments:

  1. What I miss most about spring isn't the sunshine or the warm breeze; it's that feeling that everything is at peace and right in the world. Right now, I just feel like nature is trying to kill me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That weather might have wreaked havoc on the mountains and skiing events, but I'm glad it made you so happy. And guess what's next week? MARCH!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm dying for April in a big way, that's when our spring finally starts to break through. I'm SO tired of being cold all the time, I can't handle it!

    I hope you guys get a big break in the weather soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I want to move to Vancouver!

    It's amazing how much my mood has improved in the past few weeks that the days have been (noticeably) longer.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I totally hear you on the sun that is now rain. It was glorious while it lasted. Here they say sun again by Sunday, so hopefully that's true for you too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. February is evil. We might get more snow tomorrow and it makes me want to scream and throw a tantrum.

    And that photo is gorgeous gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  7. we just found out we're getting another snowstorm starting tonight. ANOTHER. SNOWSTORM. we've had enough winter for like 5 entire winters here, i am ready for this to stop, please.

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh i love that picture, it's amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was enjoying the sun, mostly becuase it meant i wasn't getting totally soggy when I walk the dog! come back sun!

    ReplyDelete
  10. After a week of sunshine and warmth, I woke up to snow. SNOW.

    So, yeah, I hear you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That week sounded blissful, and don't you hate when it all disappears again? That happened to us in Jan., we went on vacation and it was SURPRISINGLY mild, and came back to pretty much a blizzard and more snow than I've ever seen. I can't wait for SUMMER - I almost dislike spring even more than winter in a way; it's still cold and bleak, but it's just UGLY with all the slush and the brown everywhere. At least in winter it's cold and clean-looking :)

    ReplyDelete