Monday 18 August 2008

And Her Thoughts Like A Daisy How My Mind Gets Lazy

Oh hey, guess what this isn't. A wedding recap! The wedding was two weeks ago and we have yet to put away our "wedding gear" - a basket of scissors, elastics, safety pins, markers, index cards, extra programs, placecards, etc that has been sitting on our kitchen counter since the day after the wedding. My wedding dress hangs, uncleaned, in the closet while I decide if I have it in me to donate it. A pile of presents sits untouched on my bedroom floor. The wedding was so much work. Work that I, foolishly, thought would be over when the wedding was over. No-one told me about the kitchen that would need to be re-organised to make room for the new kitchen toys we received. There was no warning about non-registry gifts. Gifts without gift receipts or any indication of where they were purchased. Gifts you don't want. Gifts that you feel obligated to keep because they're wedding presents. But what do you do with three glass balls (random, right? They're just solid-glass, different-sized balls. Do I put them in a bowl? In a planter? WHAT DO I DO?) or the hand-painted platter? Thoughtful gifts that someone picked out for us that we don't want. It's not even that we don't want them. We don't have room. We don't have room for the three platter & dip bowl combos that we received. Our home is not large enough that we would ever have a big enough party to justify three platters of food & dip.

I sound like a spoiled brat. I don't mean to be ungrateful, I am just overwhelmed (though being overwhelmed by presents is not something to complain about.) So instead of a wedding recap, I will leave you with pictures of my Stella:

what you can't see in this picture is the plate of pie I'm holding

Stella's grumpy morning face

watching the Olympics with her dad

fussed because her favourite sleeping spot was occupied by presents

"Back off, bitches. Get your own grill."

it's hard work being Stella

14 comments:

  1. We've already started to get the non-registry gifts. And my question is what do you do with handmade table runners for every holiday of the season? I mean, we only have so much dark closet space where we'll forget what's hidden there...

    In the meantime, thanks for the warning about the post-wedding. Because right now? I expect to return from our honeymoon with nothing left to do. Oh silly me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, thanks for the post-wedding warning. I didn't really take all of that into consideration. Even though we've already done the kitchen reorganization to fit some of the gifts we already received. But we still don't have enough room. Sigh...I wonder if we can register for a bigger house...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stella is my favourite. Of everything. In. the. world.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll let you in on a little secret. Regifting. You won't be comfortable doing it right away, but 5 years later? We totally regifted a crystal pitcher. It was beautiful, but we keep our juice in the container it came in.

    We also regifted a baby frame as a baby gift. It was a beautiful frame, but very baby themed, and after a few years, our son would surely have insisted we take it down. We aren't the type to change out our frames, so we go with ones with longevity :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. i love the grill pictures! also, i think you should post a picture of the purple and turquoise quilted placemats. because they are indescribable.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I remember the whole after-wedding-gift issue. Yuck!

    Also - sent the new CD's this weekend, so keep your eyes peeled :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. stella is SO AWESOME. and far too cute. i love it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nilsa: I don't know, but if you figure it out can you let me know what to do with the handmade placemats?

    Leftlane: I wish!

    Ben: Me too.

    3Carnations: Ooohhhh I am so tempted. I'm afraid of getting caught though.

    t: ha, ok maybe tomorrow.

    Angella: Wahoo!

    Alice: Thanks :) I take full credit for her being so adorable.

    Thomas: Lemon meringue. And it was gooooood.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can totally understand being overwhelmed with non-registry gifts. My sister registered for her wedding, and still ended up with four mixers. She kept the one she liked best, and gave me the one she couldn't return (score!). Regifting is not always a bad thing.

    P.S. Stella is adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes, the kitchen re-org. Yes, the non-registry gifts (the things we didn't want were mostly from coworkers that don't know us very well, and what the hell do we do with stuff we would be embarassed to give anyone else because it is oogly?) Yes, the trying to decide about dress donation (when I casually mentioned it during my sister's wedding festivities, my mom looked at me in horror. I should keep a dress I'll never wear again that takes up half my closet space why, mom?).

    Here is what I would do with the glass balls: I would get some paint, and I would write "Balls" on them, and then I would tell the Superhero that it said balls on his balls. Hee!

    Also, don't worrry about the wedding recap. It took me a few weeks, too. It's hard to process such a huge event! It takes time! We are patient readers. (Can't wait to see more photos, though!)

    ReplyDelete
  11. keep your dress - I was married in my mothers and I'm so glad she kept hers. I know what you mean about gifts though...

    ReplyDelete
  12. My future sister in law intends to dye her wedding dress black and wear it to black tie affairs.

    I think the glass balls are meant to be artfully displayed in a group, like on a coffee table or something.

    My vote is that you take a picture of everything you don't want to keep, in use (throw some chips on the dishes and pose next to them), send the pic with a thank you to the appropriate relative, and then offer them up to friends who want them or write on masking tape on the bottom of each who gave you what and then re-gift this holiday season.

    Donate all the placemats to a nursing home. Old people love that shit.

    ReplyDelete
  13. It is *so* timely that today is the day I stumble across this particular post on your blog. You will know more soon. Be on the lookout for a package! :)

    P.S. I HAVE MORE EFFING CHIP/DIP PLATTERS THAN A MOTHER-EFFER. WHY IS THIS A "THING?" WHY DO PEOPLE GIVE THEM WITH SUCH FREQUENCY? I EAT CHIPS FROM A BAG AND DIP FROM THE PACKAGE IT COMES IN. NO DIRTY DISHES NEEDED. (Sorry about the caps. You seemed to hit on a nerve. The fuck? I seriously have 4 of those things.)

    ReplyDelete