Thursday 8 May 2008

My Milkshake Brings All The Boys To The Yard

When I was a kid, whenever I had to have a needle my mother would take me out for a milkshake. Not a fastfood milkshake either; she took me to a restaurant that served milkshakes in a glass milkshake glass with the metal malt cup on the side. Milkshakes were a big deal in my house. My mother was very strict about what we ate. We were allowed 1 "special treat" a week - every Friday my older sister and I would sit down to watch Steve Urkel and split a (small) bag of (plain) potato chips and a "pop" (I say "pop" because it was never real pop, it was Koala Springs or some other sparkling juice.) Bribing us with sugar was a surefire way for my mother to get us to do something we didn't want to do.

I use this technique on myself now. I still have a fear of needles. Let me rephrase that, I still have a fear of medical needles. Pierce me, tattoo me, whatever - I'm fine. Inject me with something? Take my blood? I don't think so. I had to have blood taken this morning. I won't go into all the gory details but I will say that there was some hyperventilating and full-body shaking involved (but no tears - no tears! This is progress, my friends.) Clearly I deserve a special treat for making it through such a harrowing ordeal and I know exactly what said treat will be: Jamie Oliver's new cookbook.

I bought Jamie at Home last week for a friend's birthday. I haven't had a chance to give it to him yet, so all week it's been sitting in my kitchen begging for me to crack its spine and flip through its pages. I really wanted to buy it for myself but was having trouble justifying spending $30 on a cookbook when there's a plethora of free recipes on the internet. Five vials of blood has justified it for me. So thank you random thyroid issue for making the blood removal necessary and thank you Mom for teaching me justifying skills.

7 comments:

  1. I hate needles, too, though you can add tattoo and piercing to the bunch. Though, my reaction isn't quite as violent as yours, so long as I don't watch. Then it's all good.

    And I think that's a perfectly fine present to yourself - whichever way you rationalize it. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rewards for painful things are always something I've believed in. Getting blood taken and having shots are like the worst thing ever. The last time I had to get blood taken I had a similar reaction to yours, except I did cry.

    I totally adore Jamie Oliver. One of these days I'll buy his cookbooks, but for now I just lust over them whenever I visit a bookstore.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are the second person I have run into that said their parent was that way with sweets. Interesting.

    ~Jef

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had to have blood take a few weeks ago for my physical. It was miserable, and the nurse had trouble finding the vein, which made it even more exciting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know what you mean about needles. I can get piercings like it's my job, but I freak out with medical needles. When I was younger, I used to nearly pass out when I had to get blood taken. And I'm still leery about shots. Glad you made it through it! Get that cookbook, you totally deserve it! =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. YAAAAAAAAY! you bought it for yourself! good for you. I think $30 cookbooks are worth every penny if you're going to use them. But I'm totally a cookbook buying enabler. Let me know how you like it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dude. I did not know Canadians say "pop." I am pleased.

    ReplyDelete