Wednesday 12 March 2008

Let's Go Another Round I Will Follow You Down And Out

My Entertainment Round-Up

Watching:

In the last week I've seen 2 movies (which is weird because generally speaking, I'm not a movie-going person) - Juno and Be Kind Rewind.

Juno was my choice. I loved it. I thought I wouldn't love it because I'm pretty much the last person on Earth to have seen it and it's been pretty hyped up. Usually when something has received a lot of hype, I am disappointed. Juno did not disappoint. At one point, S leaned over and told me that I remind him of Jennifer Garner. I was so flattered until he clarified that I don't remind him of Jennifer Garner because we're both stunningly gorgeous, but that I reminded him of Jennifer Garner's character when she made a comment about being ready for parenthood because she's "read all the books!" Whatever. I'd rather be well-read than gorgeous anyway.

Be Kind Rewind was S's choice. I'm a fan of Jack Black but ever since Nacho Libre I've been boycotting him. Nacho Libre = stupidest film I have ever seen. Not that I'd tell S that - he has a bit of a man-crush on Jack Black and Nacho Libre is one of his favourite Jack Black films. I prefer the Jack Black circa 2000 (aka the High Fidelity years.) I was pleasantly surprised though. Be Kind Rewind had an actual storyline, plot and conclusion. It was about 30 minutes too long but it wasn't an unbearable 30 minutes. Jack Black was funny without being too over the top. It was actually a pretty good film. More of a renter, in my opinion, but still worth seeing.

Reading:

I just finished Eat, Pray, Love (Elizabeth Gilbert.) I read this book because everyone seems to be reading it and everyone is saying it's the best! book! ever! Clearly this was a bad reason to read it (see above section re: hype.) I did not love this book. I didn't hate it; I just didn't love it. Reading it did not change my life. I did not have an epiphany while reading this book. I thought Elizabeth Gilbert was a bit whiny. Instead of absorbing every word, I used a lot of mental energy willing her to shut up. Which is stupid - I should have just stopped reading it. The problem is that I'm unable to not finish a book once I start. The book wasn't bad - I'm not saying you shouldn't read it. I'm just saying you shouldn't expect a lot from it. It's a perfectly nice book - it's just not something amazing.

I've moved on to Devil in the Details: Scenes from an Obsessive Girlhood (Jennifer Traig.) I'm loving this book (probably because I often catch myself being a bit OCD.) I'm only about a quarter through it so I shouldn't judge it yet, but I can tell I'm going to enjoy this book. It's not as funny as I thought it would be but it's funny enough.

Listening:

I've been going through a bit of a music drought recently. I haven't been excited about an album since I bought the Fratelli's album a few months ago. Does anyone have any suggestions? I've got an eclectic taste in music - I'll listen to pretty much anything (except for rap or country - and by "country" I mean "country ... except for Willie Nelson because Willie Nelson rocks and if you don't agree I'll kick you in the shins.")

9 comments:

  1. I loved Juno. Sometimes the hype is true.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you enjoyed Juno. It's fantastic!

    I have a few music suggestions for you. Have you seen the movie Once? The soundtrack for that is phenomenal. Along those same lines, The Frames are excellent as well. Glen Hansard was in the movie, and is also the lead singer of that band.

    Another great soundtrack is from "Across the Universe." The covers are incredibly well done. I especially like their version of "Let it Be." It's goosebump worthy.

    Some other bands/singers I've really been digging lately are Snow Patrol, Tegan and Sara, Amy Winehouse, Paolo Nutini and Lucia Micarelli.

    Happy listening!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I watched Juno on Saturday night. I wasn't sure what to expect. I had a lot of friends become teenage mothers, but all of the kept their babies, so it was definitely a different take than what I was used to from my own experience.
    I'll admit I cried. Loved it.

    I am a huge fan of Neil Young. He's actually my future husband.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Juno was good but I thought a lot of the dialogue was forced - not by the actors, but the writer. It just didn't work and I would suddenly find myself not *in* the movie anymore.

    Pandora and Slacker Radio can be really cool sites to use to explore and try new music. An I like that Sara Bareilles girl.

    ReplyDelete
  5. agreed... if you are unfamiliar with glen hansard or the frames, i urge you to go pick up some of their albums IMMEDIATELY.

    i've been getting into female soul(ish) singers lately, joss stone, billy miles, adele. actually adele's new import album "19" is amazing. she's british...but brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never even heard of the Frames. I'll add that to the list of cds to buy :)
    I love LOVE Paolo Nutini. I met him after his last Vancouver show. He was so adorable - I couldn't even speak. It's hilarious because he's younger than my baby brother - does that make me a cougar??
    I'm a big fan of the Brits. I lived in England for a bit and came home with a new appreciation of British pop/rock bands (faves include Snow Patrol, Arctic Monkeys, Athlete, etc.)

    ReplyDelete
  7. how many times do i need to say it?
    the mountain goats. all of their albums, except 'get lonely' which is a bit too depressing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Juno was great... but I totally know what you mean about the hype thing. Normally movies with that much hype end up not living up to it.

    Right now I'm really digging Sia, One Republic, and Sara Bareilles. Chem em out :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm late to the party...(story of my life)...

    As usual, I agree with all of your assessments in regards to the books, movies, etc. that you've recently experienced. The comment that S made about you reading all the books made me laugh.

    Recommendations:

    Book: Prep

    Music: KT Tunstall, The Beatles' LOVE album... or something harder? Serg Tankian's new album...it's weird but awesome. Also, the Juno soundtrack is pretty cool...sort of a light, "feel good" compilation.

    ReplyDelete