Saturday 1 March 2008

I'd Just Like To Try Some Carrot Cake And Wine

Friday was my dad's birthday so we had everyone over for dinner. I made carrot pie for dessert. It really is made from carrots, I promise. I can't describe it - it's sort of similar to pumpkin pie because it uses the same spices, but it's also very different. It's lighter than pumpkin pie and almost ... fresher (for lack of a better word.) The topping is a pecan-crunch that I could probably eat just on its own.




I've never been a fan of quiche but I made one for the vegetarians. It turns out that I love veggie quiche. Probably because I used a shameful amount of cheese (a shameful amount of 2 types of cheese) so it wasn't so much a veggie quiche as it was a cheese pie. Cheese is my crack so I shouldn't be surprised that I liked the quiche.



Other than the family dinner my weekend has been tame. I'm still sick and I'm woefully behind in my soul sucking english course. I spent the day writing a paper and feeling very bitter about it. It's finished now though and I am officially halfway through the course. Which means that tomorrow I get to be a slacker. My plans so far are to sleep in and then watch the Canucks game. Hopefully Stella agrees with the sleeping in part of my plan.



Update: It's 7:30 Sunday morning and Stella has spent the last 20 minutes whining (even though I managed to stumble outside with her at 7 for her morning pee, she's had food and water and she's got toys to keep her satisfied.) She just wants to play. And so here I am, on my sleep-in-morning, up before 8am. I do not love it.

4 comments:

  1. My dog will be 3 this may. When she was little, she made me get up at 6 am EVERY DAY to let her outside. Sometimes she'd do it at 3 am just to be a bugger.

    When she was about a year and a half, she came to me and whined to go outside at 3 am. I told her "GO TO BED", and she did. And she has ever since.

    Nowadays, I have to force her to go outside before I go to work.

    Point being, hang in there. Puppies grow up and get just like people.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your puppy is so cute! What kind of dog is she? Maybe she will take a nap with you later.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Carrot Pie, eh? That could be kinda interesting....Where'd you find the recipe?

    ReplyDelete
  4. That carrot pie looks divine. So much better than celery pie :) Will you share your recipe? (and the one for the Cheesy Crack Quiche?)

    The kitchens at my workplace developed a Honeycomb Carrot pie and it was amazing. Yours looks even better.

    ReplyDelete